Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The 1000 Word Picture Challenge # 1

We used to have a exercise in our english class wher the teacher woul give us a picture and we’d have to write about it. I decided to let my friends on Facebook challenge me to do it now, only I had to write 1000 words (seeing as a picture is worth one thousand words). The challenge was that not only did my friend choose the picture they also chose the style of the piece.


As I sat alone, I felt so very alone
As if a thousand hand made bricks
Were built into a hundred walls
Each a reminder of some action
Performed by my hands
That I cannot undo.
The bricks are inscribed so delicately
With words that haunt me now
Burrowing deep inside my brain
Feeding on that which once I dealt out
But now drown in daily.
I feel that presence over my shoulder
Overshadowing every decision I make
Bearing down on me like a freight train,
Growing in speed and weight
With every thought that flows;
With every word carelessly uttered;
With every selfish push and shove.
A wise man once said
(with all the wisdom of the universe)
That how people treat you is their karma –
That word worms its way into my memory
An replays over and over and over again
Playing on and on for infinity
Or until my poor addled brain
Turn completely in on itself
And eats away at its insides
Like a parasite gnawing away
Upon its hosts defenceless body.
That self same wise man also stated
That how you react is yours –
I oft remember the tale told
Of a lowly farmer of Scottish blood
Who, working hard to keep his kin,
Heard the plaintiff cry of a forlorn boy
Coming from yonder bog, so sad and scared.
He ran towards that cry for help
And saved the boy from certain death.
The boy, upon arriving at his home,
Did tell his father of the heroic deed.
This man, of noble birth and heritage,
As soon as the sun graced the sky once more,
Rode to the farmer’s humble abode
In a carriage fir for such wealth and status
And offered the farmer some just reward.
The farmer, honest and proud,
Could not, with any good conscience,
Accept a gift for doing what any decent man
Would do in the same situation.
The Nobleman, seeing the farmer had a son also,
Offered a deal to replace the gift rejected:
To educate the farmer’s son
As he would educate his own flesh and blood.
The farmer, knowing the deal was good and true,
Shook the hand of the Nobleman.
Over the years both boys grew,
Physically and mentally developing,
A source of pride for both fathers.
The farmer’s son, with brilliant mind,
Discovered that which would save millions
And yet would also save a man
Who, once being a small boy trapped,
Had been rescued by his saviour’s father
So many years before.
What splendid words did fall
From the lips of that once small boy twice saved
When he uttered that line,
“We make a living by what we get,
We make a life by what we give.”
Here I sit having made my fortune,
Having scaled the dizzy heights
Of finance and all that goes with it.
Now I would give all the coin,
No matter how hard earned,
To have what those I stepped over
To get to where I am now
Treasure so very dearly and hold so very close.
I wonder where my friends are
As I look around at staged photos;
And where my trophy wife is,
Except I am the only one who thinks like that,
That she might be something to be won
And displayed as an ornament.
Is it any wonder no-one would consent,
Not any warm and nurturing woman,
Only those as materialistic and vacuous
As I have been to this point
And hold no attraction for me.
I wish I had listened to those who said,
“One good turn deserves another.”
Too many times I used and abused
And now I sit, abused and used
By the consequences of my own actions.
Living a life where you care not for others
Lends itself to others not caring for you
And now, in the twilight of my years,
Without a friends in the world
And only my bad decisions to keep me company
I know my reactions have been my karma,
The results of my decisions a harsh teacher.
You might say that fate,
She has been a cruel mistress,
But my undoing was not at fate’s hand
For I brought this all on myself
And must bear the weight
Of every despicable action
Upon these weak and narrow shoulders
For all eternity and beyond
Unless I can find some measure of respectability,
Something to redeem my shallow soul.
I want to write Mr Buechner a letter
And ask him now I take them back –
All those touches that burned,
That scolded, stained and scarred.
He will surely tell me that I can’t,
That what has passed will always be
And that those minor indiscretions,
Those major ones too,
Will flow through the universe
And come around to bite me in some way
Or maybe topple those hundreds of walls
Filled with thousands and bricks
Like dominoes set in motion
What feels like a million years ago.
And as they fall the words written
Will burn into my once thick skin
Until there is nothing left of me
But a broken body and a tormented soul.
If I could move from this chair
Before that final domino falls
Then maybe my life is worth something,
Maybe I have evened out the balance.
Now I face that impossible choice
Made such by present circumstance
(Though my current predicament
Is wholly self inflicted and
I have no-one to blame but my own greed) –
Do I continue down this path
That I have worn so well
Or turn and face up to all I have done,
Bear the consequences of a thoughtless existence
And hope that, in doing such an act,
The universe will grant me the favour
Of allowing me some small measure of humanity
That I may leave some mark on the world
Which is not the ruins of what was a life
But instead is that which may blossom
And perhaps grow through nurture
To be bigger than itself
And be a legacy of my time here.

No comments:

Post a Comment